Author Jeff McManus speaks about Leadership
Jeff McManus grows things. As the Director of Landscape Services at the University of Mississippi, he grows plants….he grows people….he grows ideas. Jeff is a problem-solver, understanding that doing more with less is a 21st century mandate.
After coming to the University in 2000, Jeff took on the challenge of managing a multi-million dollar landscaping beautification implementation project. Faced with a demand for excellence and high productivity, and a stagnant budget, Jeff knew that growing the people was critical to growing the plants. Through that experience, Jeff developed his approach to managing resources and developing personnel – his GROW-theory; a management and professional development approach based in the belief that all humans either strive for or have within them the elements of Greatness, Resiliency, Opportunity and Wisdom – they just need a fertile environment to GROW.
Taking his grounds staff, affectionately known as “weeders”, and developing them into “leaders” has been a joyous challenge that reaped acres of rewards in the form of national recognition by the Princeton Review, PGMS, Newsweek and every faculty, staff, student and visitor who has walked onto the Ole Miss Campus. Building on that momentum, Jeff has designed a professional development plan for his Weeders called Landscape University – a replicable training program that promotes the individual’s innate ability to GROW.
Jeff holds a Bachelor of Science in Landscape and Ornamental Horticulture from Auburn University and is a PGMS Certified Grounds manager, and Certified Arborist. His message rings true for any industry leader or manager looking to GROW a high-performance and dedicated workforce. Jeff has spoken at Caterpillar Inc, the Biltmore Estates, Leadercast, SRAPPA, Trent Lott Leadership Institute as well as the SEC Ole Miss Athletics. He has also worked with Memphis University, the University of Tennessee, the University of Georgia and private firms in developing their own training programs.
Jeff's Website: http://jeffmcmanusspeaking.com
Growing Weeders Into Leaders
At some point in this postmodern life, individual greatness has lost its appeal for many of us. It has been commodified and relegated to those who are measured by shortest/longest times, impressive distances, highest heights, lowest lows, medals won, honors given…and again…Aristotle and Nike got it right…GREATNESS is what we can DO…every day…without recognition or reward, but for the satisfaction that comes from meeting the challenge, creating a team, and overcoming the odds. And that is what Growing Weeders into Leadersis about.
Jeff McManus recognized with Professional Grounds Management Society President's Award for 2016 | Article
- In 2002 Ole Miss Landscape Services received the very coveted, Professional Grounds Maintenance Society Green Star Award for Best Maintained University.
- Landscape Services has also won the Urban Forestry and Green Development Award for 2007 Scenic
- Community of Mississippi.
- The University of Mississippi was recently selected as one of America's top 50 most beautiful campuses by The Best Colleges. Article
- Ole Miss was recently ranked Most Beautiful Campus by Newsweek. Ranking List Article
- The University of Mississippi was just ranked as the best tailgaiting school by Tailgater Monthly. Article
- The University of Mississippi was named the 2016 Best Beautiful College Campus by USA Today Article